.
File--
Your Residual Definitions are still-points arrested from the bewildering perceptual flow of the moment that provide, with their multiple-take depths and resonances, lovely opportunity for slow reflection and contemplation. This would seem a high form of art indeed, the opposite and annihilation of such nano-cerebral efflorescences as, say, the more sordid of football chants.
Habitual resort to Zeph's marvelously useful Other Stuff archive galleries having familiarized us with the extremely interesting Pseuds picture-poem tradition of which your earlier works in this genre appear to be the prototype, the extension of that tradition in these new works is very much to thank you for, File.
Wee but not twee, pithy but not pathological, these works may stand as mute testimony for the value of the complex manifolds of the aesthetic in the face of the simplistic and/or clinical. (Thinking again here--as, like the hippopotami in your kitchen, once they've visited, who can forget them?--of those Spurs XII chants.)
File, I'm certain this connection won't come as any revelation to you, but when I look at and think about this picture-poem mode of yours, I'm taken back happily to the work of the wonderful Scottish poet Ian Hamilton Finlay (1925-2006), whose "concrete poems", picture-poems, postcard-poems and other brilliant marryings of the diverse dimensions of the verbal with the visual (and later on, the sculptural as well) formed a precious part of my own education in poetry.
How vividly and unforgettably Finlay's brilliantly compressed figurations live on in the mind, with their immediate moment always essentially "concrete" and palpable, yet their reverberations rippling into philosophical text (in which they are often rooted) and literary and historical context (with which they frequently engage).
For me, your work moves out from Finlay's into a new millennium--a context fraught with new challenges, but also rich in new possibilities, particularly in the realm of computer arts, where your own specific procedures are perhaps most interesting to me.
IHF called himself "in a wee homemade way, a sophisticated person," and "a wee, old-fashioned poet."
He also called himself, resorting to his native Scots, "thrawn" (stubborn, uncompromising). In the official literary culture of Scotland in the years of his emergence as an artist he remained something between unknown and scorned. And indeed that was a beyond-the-pale status of which, like so many deeply independent grand creators, he made good artistic use. His against-the-grain stance as a maker supplied him an energy of resistance that allowed him to move from the poetic realms of his early mentor Hugh McDiarmuid into a cosmopolitan and international area of production wherein he was both an acknowledged player and a strong influence.
I first heard about Finlay's work in the early Sixties from the American poet Robert Creeley, who was at that time already paying close attention. Finlay founded Wild Hawthorn Press (to be the source, over several decades, of myriad wondrous poem-cards, "kinetic booklets", poster poems, etc.), and published his first book of poems, The Dancers Inherit the Party, in 1960, with American poets Creeley and Robert Duncan providing epigraphs. He would soon (1961) found the very interesting magazine Poor.Old.Tired.Horse, titled after a Creeley line. To Creeley's generation of American poets, IHF's work remained the most significant being done in the British Isles.
And it had determinative influence upon the next generation as well, especially in the late 60s, when it was creatively morphed--psychedelicized might be a better term-- into the concrete-poetry style innovated by Aram Saroyan. A microscopic attention upon the word or words isolated in visual space, producing works like Saroyan's "eyeye", was the culmination of the Finlay method as had been first illustrated in such wee poems from The Dancers Inherit the Party as "One Orange Arm of the World's Largest Windmill/ autumn" or "The sea, I think, is lazy,/ It just obeys the moon."
From that latter example one understands IHF had not only a painter's eye but the ear of a musician--and in the tradition of the experimental "sound poem", as well, his work plays a major part.
And he is also to be remembered as that rare strain of political poet, the non-speechifying kind. Fishing boats often provided his "material", but equally often it was a historical subject--most interestingly, perhaps, the French Revolution. And I think of his Wild Hawthorn Press poem card with a drawing of a pansy metamorphosing into a panzer.
For those interested, here are a few selected Finlay picture-poem links:
wild hawthorn press: jan 09 offers:
http://www.ianhamiltonfinlay.com/January_2009_Offers.html
_________________________
"poverty, pitted with larks"--in neon:
http://www.dailyserving.com/art/Ian-Hamilton-Finlay-3-23-07.jpg
_______________________
neon poems from exhibition 2007 victoria miro gallery london (one year anniv of ihf's' death):
"diamond-studded fish-net"/ "water-cooled watercress":
http://www.victoria-miro.com/exhibitions/_376/
______________________________
poster-poem: le circus, 1964 (tate gallery)
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999961&workid=78421&searchid=9248
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thank you for these very interesting thoughts, BTP. Ian Hamilton Finlay is nowadays probably best known in the UK for his garden/poetry collection Little Sparta in Lanarkshire, Scotland. I'll post some photos of it.
I have looked around for others who might be attempting what I call Graphic Poetry, but I've yet to find anyone else that I would say is grazing in the same field. So I was very interested in your reference to Finlay (who had never heard of before, for shame) and very complimented that you think that there may some sort of lineage connecting my poor fare to his transcendental pieces, his work, as I am discovering, is deeply fascinating to me.
sorry to hear that those (to be damned) Spurs chants are still rattling around B, sometimes the only way to dispel a troublesome nightmare is to have a sweet dream (Shattock Ave. might support such, maybe even wrapped up in a sleeping bundle or buried in the words of a fellow insomniac wanderer)
Very impressed that you knew Creeley, whose work is massively stimulating to me and often very beautiful (not entirely, to my understanding, Black Mountain but then what do I no?)
When I first started making graphic poems I wanted to find a way to link poetic text with visual graphics in ways that weren't illustrative or as captions, in ways that distorted or enhanced both/either the text and/or the graphic, in ways that meant something different from either when taken together, if you think about this it is a very difficult task (and not one that is wholly successful in Residual Definitions, I think they are "in progress"). The first series was called Poems Not To Be Read Aloud to try to draw attention to that and they addressed my personal understanding of what 'Found' poetry might be; as if one might come across poetic and personal sensibility in a dry book on anatomy or a motorcycle schematic, a road sign or a forensic report... I feel acutely how 'immature' they are as poems now but am still fascinated by the approach I formulated and am hoping to find time and quiet head space enough to develop this idea more...
am very interested in poetics primarily as a spiritual manifestation, that poetry can, and often does, invoke the 'truths' of life in between the cracks of sentences/lines/semiotics, I have a lot of sympathy for the Zen approach to language which denies us the possibility of eternal truth through direct language, that language is man made and therefore not divine...and certainly not universal
it may be that you (others/Others) might want to explore this in dialogue, or by reference to others examples, I would be very interested in that but realize that none of us has won a Texas lottery of time and that there are many demands made on what little we have...
Thanks Zeph for creating this lovely little Annexe.
The Tate Gallery has a wonderful collection of 161 of Finlay's picture-poems, the great majority viewable in successive links if you begin by clicking on any one. I've given one above; here's another I love, "Summer Sails":
http://www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?cgroupid=999999961&workid=4295&searchid=9248&currow=8&maxrows=161
I do hope some will look--and enjoy, as we have enjoyed File's creations.
____________________
the Tate collection is great isn't it? Well worth a browse if anyone else comes here...
there is an overt simplicity to his work as it is presented in this collection (and some really intriguing collaborations)
amongst the most interesting to me are Ajar (no.11), Marine - with Patrick Caulfield (no.15), Homage to Modern Art (no.37) and Topiary Aircraft Carrier (no.41) which I'd particularly reccomend to Zeph-ish as an echo of one of her garden posts, Midway (no.52) is also worth checking out and Panzer Selection (no.59) certainly predates my own attempts as do the Park Signs (nos. 100 - 104)(hope that's not a stretch too far!)
he has a sharp (and occasionally acerbic) sense of irony which is never diluted by his obvious warm humour, a wonderful aesthetic and courage to speak his mind on difficult subjects which is intriguing in light of his seeming contentment to remain a poet/artist producing work primarily for himself.
Very inspirational BtheP, thanks again for the introduction, I imagine I will be returning to Finlay's work often from now as a rich source of protein and omega 3; many of the pieces are so simply constructed they only obliquely hint at the Poseidon at work, enabling the viewer to wander the open seas they infer at will; powerful and generous.
Would imagine that they would appeal to the sensibilities of Mimi too and our Froggle friends would probably enjoy the French texts (not that they need help with language)...
Post a Comment